Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Raw Wednesday


 
I realized recently that, even though I've been eating vegan and lots of veggies and good stuffs, I've also been consuming a lot of fat, Mostly the good kind, but still a high percentage of it. Since going vegan was mostly an effort to eat healthier, I may have been negating some of my hard work.

So, I decided to try eating low-fat raw. Just for a week, see how it goes.

I like it.

It's not hard, it's pretty tasty, but it's a hell-of-a-lot of lugging, like carrying a ton of fruit to work. So, mostly eating raw is high on physical labor. I have 4 fruit meals a day, at least 3 of which are mono (just one type of fruit). And for dinner I usually have a vegetable meal. Those are delicious!!

I have a few pictures, some recipes, a recommendation here and there, so without further ado...





I started with something easy and sweet -- key lime pie! Oh so delicious, creamy and full of fat! But in small doses...





It was runny, and it somewhat resembled baby vomit, but if you can get past that, you'll enjoy it.

Here's the recipe:

-2 1/2 cups almond flour
-5 dates (I used medjool)
-2 Tbsp coconut oil

Mix in food processor then press into a 9" pie pan. Then:

-2 avocados
-1 banana
-1/2 cup mango (I used frozen)
-1/3 cup raw agave syrup
-1/3 cup coconut butter
-1 cup key lime juice
-2 tsp vanilla 

Whirl all in a food processor till smooth, then pour into the crust and refrigerate overnight. Enjoy!

Aside from A GAZILLION different fruits I've had throughout the day, these were some of the dinners:

Zucchini fettucini with cucumbers, tomatoes, carrot strips and tahini sauce, all covered in spinach-avocado-red pepper dressing




Pretty good. Next, I also feasted upon this green concoction that had zucchini noodles, pesto and celery bits on top.







Nothing short of yummy! Here's the pesto recipe:

-2 bunches spinach
-2 Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes (mine were packed in oil)
-3 green olives
-1/4 cup walnuts (soaked in water for a couple of hours)
-2 tsp lime juice
-pinch savory
-pinch basil
-pinch black pepper
-pinch hot sauce

Blend, pour, enjoy!

This was a quick dinner assembly -- zucchini noodles (I recently bought a spiralizer, you can tell I'm getting my money's worth), spinach, cauliflower, carrots, red peppers and some more tahini sauce.



 

'Twas good. And this beauty --saved the best for last -- was devoured today:
yellow squash (gotta change it up a bit) noodles, marinara sauce and corn.



 


DEVOURED!! DEE-VOURED!

Marinara recipe:

-1 tomatoe
-2 Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes (mine were, again, packed in oil)
-1/2 cup mushrooms (soaked in warm water)
-6 large, pitted, red olives (or any other color)
-1/2 red pepper
-1 Tbsp hot sauce
-juice of 1 lime
-any seasonings you like (I put savory, rosemary, parsley, black pepper, basil, oregano and a minimal amount of celery salt)

Mix all in a processor then top with warm water-soaked corn and some raw Parma vegan parmesan.



There you go. Raw stuff. And yummy. But, heavy. To carry, that is... Really mostly the fruit.

So try it out, see how you like it and then let me know what you think.

Toodles (or roodles = raw noodles. That's right, I'm punny!  =] )


ps  Tomorrow -- RAW SUSHI!!!  Oooooooh!   =P

No comments:

Post a Comment